Skip to content

Can I Lose My 2nd Amendment Rights? 497

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

It may seem from the wording, “shall not be infringed”, that you should not be able to lose your Second Amendment rights, however, there are some circumstances, particularly when someone has been convicted of certain criminal charges, where you can lose your right to bear arms. In fact, this is common enough that there are Second Amendment lawyers who specialize in helping people who have lost their gun rights. If you have lost your rights, you may want to speak with a gun rights lawyer about your options.

How You Can Lose Your Second Amendment Rights
Conviction of a criminal charge in the state of Minnesota can lead to very serious consequences. In addition to fines or incarceration, one of those consequences can be the loss of your constitutional rights, including your right to carry a concealed weapon. You can also lose your right to vote.

This doesn’t just affect conceal carry, though. The Federal Gun Laws very clearly state that any individual who is convicted for crimes which led to imprisonment of one year or more, has no right to…

  • own
  • accept
  • sell
  • ship or transport…

weapons and ammunitions.

In addition, conviction for a misdemeanor domestic assault can lead to a federal lifetime ban on the possession of a firearm. That’s just the federal law. There are also state law bans on possession of a firearm following a conviction of misdemeanor domestic assault, as well as other crimes, such as felonies. Even a civil court order leading to the loss of civil and property rights can lead to the loss of gun rights.

If I Lose My 2nd Amendment Rights, Can I Get Them Back?

It can be difficult to get your gun rights reinstated in states like Minnesota, but it is possible in some cases, particularly with the help of a gun rights lawyer. There are processes to restore your Second Amendment rights, such as:

  • A petition to restore gun rights
  • Expungement
  • Restoration of rights
  • A pardon
  • Setting aside the conviction

These processes can be done, but there are several facets to addressing gun charges. If you or a loved one has lost their gun rights in the state of Minnesota and would like to get them reinstated, it is highly recommended that you find Second Amendment lawyer in Minnesota.

A gun rights lawyer such as Lynne Torgerson can help you in protecting your gun rights, She has over 26 years of experience in dealing with Minnesota gun rights cases. The right to possess a gun or a weapon is a very sensitive issue, and can lead to serious consequences if not dealt in the right way. Lynne Torgerson is a lawyer of repute and will help you to achieve your legal goals. Call now for legal help and assistance, 612-339-5073.


Contact Lynne Torgerson

Contact Us

Recent Posts